Health and Safety Practitioner & Leadership
Course: Combo Course
Study Period: up to 18 months
NQF Level: 5
Price before bursary:
Price after bursary:
[over 17 months]
On successful completion of this course, and with proof of 2 years working experience in this field, students can apply for the Professional Designation of TechSaiosh (Technical Member) with Saiosh, the SAQA accredited Professional Body for Occupational Health & Safety.
In this AOY skills course, you will learn how to develop a leadership approach that is driven by your values and principles. You will explore motivation, ethics, and your personal leadership style. Upon successful completion, you will have the skills to motivate your team, practice ethical leadership and know how to communicate effectively. This course is suitable for anyone wanting to climb the corporate ladder and those already in a supervisory or managerial role. This course will enhance your ability to embrace change, overcome organisational challenges, build the right team of people, keep your team motivated and drive company performance.
SAIOSH Health and Safety Practitioner: This NQF L5 aligned course is suited for those already working in the OHS environment wanting to get a Professional Designation, or those who want to get into this exciting world. Competent students will be able to successfully do the following:
- Implement and monitor an OHS programme without requiring expert Health and Safety strategy, forecasting, budgeting or complex occupational health and safety plans.
- Produce OHS reports, basic accident trending reports and provide guidance on prevention of accidents and incidents.
- Demonstrate the inter-relationship between occupational safety, hygiene, health, fire, occupational medicine and general organizational management practice.
- Improve health and safety in the workplace by applying OHS theory and legislation in various contexts.
- Be able to do general health and safety audits.
- Implement general health and safety systems and programs, identify hazards and suggest control measures within, or to mitigate those hazards.
- Be able to do basic quantitative and qualitative risk assessments of identified hazards.
Leadership Skills: Effective and motivational leadership is essential for any organisation to succeed. A successful leader knows where their industry is heading and has the skills to safely steer his/her team in times of change. To become a great leader, you must identify and strengthen your leadership skills and learn how to successfully align your team behind a single vision and strategy. Once learnt and applied, these skills will benefit you at any level and in any industry.
Study period: up to 18 months
Assessment and Award
This course will be assessed by means of a Summative Assessment assignment and there are no exams. A mark of 65% is required to pass these PMSA & SAFMA endorsed courses.
There are no entry requirements
Academy of York is accredited by FASSET SETA, SAIOSH, SABPP, PMSA, COMENSA and the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) and is registered with the QCTO as a Private College.
The SAIOSH course has been verified by SAIOSH while the Leadership Skills course is approved by Academy of York.
What our past students said
“It was very wonderful and fruitful journey with A.OY. The coordinator and student support they were always available to help.”
“It was a good experience and the end goal was to be well versed in Occupational health and safety, I can say I am close to achieving that goal.”