Occupational Health and Safety Practitioner
Course: Short Course
Study Period: up to 6 months
NQF Level: 5
Course Code: SAI001
Price before bursary:
Price after bursary:
[over 16 months]
This NQF L5 aligned course is suited for those already working in the OHS environment wanting to get a Professional Designation, or those who want to get into this exciting world. Competent students will be able to successfully do the following:
- Implement and monitor an OHS programme without requiring expert Health and Safety strategy, forecasting, budgeting or complex occupational health and safety plans.
- Produce OHS reports, basic accident trending reports and provide guidance on prevention of accidents and incidents.
- Demonstrate the inter-relationship between occupational safety, hygiene, health, fire, occupational medicine and general organizational management practice.
- Improve health and safety in the workplace by applying OHS theory and legislation in various contexts.
- Be able to do general health and safety audits.
- Implement general health and safety systems and programs, identify hazards and suggest control measures within, or to mitigate those hazards.
- Be able to do basic quantitative and qualitative risk assessments of identified hazards.
Study period: up to 6 months
Assessment and Award
Students will have to successfully complete a work-based logbook, a portfolio of evidence and Final Knowledge Assessment. On successful completion of this students will be awarded a Saiosh Verified, Academy of York Health and Safety Practitioner certificate.
Important Saiosh Exam Information
On successful completion of this course, and with proof of 2 years working experience in this field, students can apply for the Professional Designation of TechSaiosh (Technical Member) with Saiosh, the SAQA accredited Professional Body for Occupational Health & Safety.
With more than 6 500 Members Saiosh is the leading source of information and networking opportunities within the Occupational Health and Safety profession. Saiosh is the choice for OHS professionals and practitioners in Southern Africa, dedicated to the advancement of the OHS profession, through research, promotion, education, social development, training, guidance and strong relationships with other OHS organisations. http://www.saiosh.co.za/?page=saiosh_corporatevid
There are no entry requirements for this course.
This course is verified by Saiosh (South African Institute of Occupational Safety and Health)
Academy of York is accredited by FASSET SETA, SAIOSH, SABPP, PMSA, CompTIA, COMENSA and the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) and is registered with the QCTO as a Private College.
What our past students said
“It was an overall great experience, the fanatical support team staff were very helpful. I will definitely come back for another course in future. Thank you A.O.Y”
“It was not an easy journey but I really enjoyed the whole course. Everything was well organised and thank you to the college, for giving me support and assistance during the whole course. Thank you”